Free Toddler Peasant Dress Pattern

Hi Everyone. This week I decided to make my 3 year old a peasant dress for a birthday party. I wanted to glam up this easy pattern by adding some shiny gold rick rack to make the standard pattern a bit more elegant. I also decided to draft my own peasant dress pattern to ensure the dress fits to size. My 3 year old is in between sizes at the moment so she doesn’t quite fit in 3T but still a bit too small for 4T patterns. This pattern as is the perfect 3T/4T pattern. If you scale it up about 10%, it will work for a normal 4T pattern. In drafting my own pattern, I followed this super awesome tutorial from Simple Simon and Company. However, if you want to use the one I have, you can download it below. This dress is similar to other popular peasant dresses online. I did a nightgown for a while back in 4T and a baby dress in 9 months about a year ago. The main fabric used for this dress is Jay-Cyn designs Eiko Bird Blossom is Shroom from Fabricworm.

Peasant Dress

I love puff sleeves on little girls. They just look so much “girlier” and elegant than putting an elastic or just hemming. Accented with some shiny rick rack, the sleeves really stand out on this dress.

IMG_5912

For the bottom, I did a contrasting band with some matching buttons on the side. Again, the rick rack on the bottom really brings out the fabric and adds an elegant touch to the pattern. I have honestly never worked with gold rick rack before so this was fun!

IMG_5911

I like the simplicity of the pattern and the fabric. Not everything has to be pink and filled with tulle for little girls in my opinion.

IMG_5914

Your Supplies

3/4 yard main fabric

1/2 yard contrasting fabric

Shiny Gold Rick Rack

You can download the 3T/4T pattern HERE. This will open in Google Docs and prompt you to download the pattern in PDF using Adobe. If you are having a hard time downloading the pattern, email me and I will send you a PDF copy of it. If you want to draft your own pattern, please follow Simple Simon and Company tutorial.

Since this is the same dress as others I have done, I will refer to pictures from another post; the toddler nightgown.

Let’s start

The pattern for the front and back are for the top pieces only. You will have to measure how long you want the dress to be to get the desired length.

IMG_4640

Once you have all your pieces. It’s time to put the sleeves on the front and back pieces. With right sides together, sew the sleeves on the front bodice.

IMG_4641 IMG_4642

Next, sew the sleeves to the back bodice.

IMG_4643

Next, let’s add the band to the bottom. Cut about 30″ of 4″ wide flannel. Fold under 1/4″ and then another 1/4″ for the hem. Iron down.  Sew right sides together. Repeat for the back bodice. ** THE PICTURES SHOW FOR A RUFFLE. DO THE SAME PROCESS BUT WITHOUT GATHERING THE STRIP FOR THE BAND.

IMG_4645 IMG_4646 IMG_4647 IMG_4648

Your finished band attached to the bodice will look like this:

IMG_5902 IMG_5903

Add the rick rack to the bottom band.

IMG_5904

Let’s move onto the sleeves. Fold down 1/4″ and then about 2″. Iron and hem. Take about 6″ of 1/4″ elastic and stitch it on the top of your hem while pulling the elastic. The elastic should be pulled as you are sewing until you reach the end. Repeat for other side.

IMG_4652

Add rick rack to the sleeve just like you did for the bottom band.

IMG_5907

IMG_4653 IMG_4657 - Copy

Next, sew from the end of the sleeves all the way down the side of the dress. Repeat for the other side.

IMG_4656

Create a casing on the neck line by folding in 1/4″ and then again about 3/4″. Sew all the way around leaving about 2″ to thread your elastic. Thread elastic and sew the opening close.

IMG_4658 IMG_4659 IMG_4661

That’s it. Hope you guys enjoy the pattern.

Peasant Dress

Thanks for visiting and Happy Sewing

signature_zpsf720200a

Craftsy

Comments

1. Mary Ellen says:

Love your little peasant dress.The fabric is so beautiful .I am sure your daughter will look just beautiful in it .

2. I’d love to share this on my website at: http://www.thethreadfultruth.com/

Also if you’re interested in sharing your work on a Pinterest group board I’d love to have you as a contributor. https://www.pinterest.com/Threadfultruth/

3. What seam allowance did you use?

4. I love this dress and want to wear to my little daughter. I will surely see this to my wife to prepare such beautiful frocks for my doll.

5. Cristlerose says:

I love this! Thank you for sharing! Can't wait to make a few of these sweet dresses….

6. Not so long ago i found lot of cute cloth, and i didn't know where can i use it. Tomorrow my little daughter will celebrate birthday and i'm gonna sew it for her) It will be great to see her reaction to this dress.

7. I love this dress. Can you tell men how I can make this smaller. I'd like to be able to make this for my Granddaughters One wears 18months and the other 24months.

8. How much elastic is needed for the neck. Can't wait to make this cute dress for my soon to be 4 year old granddaughter. Thanks for a great pattern.

• Laura Adams says:

In her instructions for the size 4 nightgown, she says to use 16" of 1/2-inch elastic for the neckline, and 12" of 1/4-inch elastic (cut into two 6-inch lengths) for the long sleeves of the nightgown. You might want to compare the circumference of your girl's wrists to her upper arms before cutting the elastic for the sleeves.
      My recent post Restoring our historic colonial house

9. Could you please email me a pdf file.

10. Are a person chasing info associated with cheap vehicle rental or even other info somehow associated with car rental vegas, or leasing car disappear at ohio port? In the event that yes, this paper provides you with useful revelations associated with cheap vehicle rental as well as somehow associated with discount plane tickets and travelocity that you'll not possess known regarding. <a href="http://www.vipcarfinance.net” target=”_blank”>www.vipcarfinance.net

11. In this particular world associated with infinite questions, security isn’t regarded as luxury any more. Having assurance has ended up being a essential branch in our existence since we ought to shield everything we treasure. Investments are exactly the precious things we have to secure around we can handle. <a href="http://www.teachingfinance.net” target=”_blank”>www.teachingfinance.net

12. The second you've made a decision that you're shifting houses, you can't wait to find the ball moving. You would like to pack your own points and obtain settled into your home. Nevertheless, this isn't usually possible. <a href="http://www.thehomestop.org” target=”_blank”>www.thehomestop.org

13. Within these difficult economic occasions, there appears to be an improve in theft and thievery. The nearby paper offers story following story associated with invasions as well as convenient shop robberies. <a href="http://www.eyeonhome.org” target=”_blank”>www.eyeonhome.org

14. People proceed to a brand new city for a lot of reasons, but there are specific things to achieve that are essential. Without these types of few, simple things you can do, your existence there may become unbearable. Call the neighborhood Police Division <a href="http://www.homesmoving.org” target=”_blank”>www.homesmoving.org

15. Shirley Pedigo says:

For some reason I cannot print the pattern. I downloaded the pattern, but when I print, it only prints the info like "back cut 1 on fold", but the outline of the pattern is not there.

16. Could you please send a pdf for the pattern. I sew for foundation that makes dresses for little girls. thanks.

17. Sharon Schroeter says:

I gave never sewn a peasant dress before & your pattern looks perfect! I downloaded the directions & pattern, but somehow missed what length & width of elastic you used for the neckline. Thanks for a wonderful & easy pattern!

18. jordenjudes says:

Gentle while using great fit, Hollister girls' Hoodies are made to really feel just as if they are your favorite for a long time.Snowman Christmas Shirts

19. jeannedavid0 says:

The holiday season is not the same and not using a special The holiday season Jumper. Select a range of classic to help humorous special types for children with.Merry Christmas Hoodies

20. jeannedavid0 says:

Very cool collections here. Love the custom lettered shirts. They are so cool. :) Shirt Hq

21. The peasant dress pattern is great! And your instructions, too! The fabrics you have chosen together with the golden and shiny rick rack are awesome! :-)
    My recent post Our American neckline pattern ELIAS now available for adults!!

22. hi,i love your dress,i think my sister’s daughter will very beautiful when she put on the dress.but i can’t down the pattern,can you email to me the 1 years old pattern?thank you.

23. Reside at the foremost is fantabulous, and the interiors content
    lavish enarthrosis way too, but backseat area is modest.
    It is okay to serve corn dogs for dinner once in a while.
    When you are out and about, observe life and just watch people around you, paying particular attention to
    women.

24. It looks like the sleeve pattern also needs to be lengthened to adapt to the child. The sleeves I cut by the patter are too short to even do the two inch hem.